New York is one of the most famous cities in USA. It is a cosmopolitan city, with amazing public transport facilities. So you can survive pretty good without a car. You can check blog post here for New York City itinerary.
Where I stayed for 3 days in the expensive city?
I stayed in my aunt’s home in New York.
What you can do if you do not want to stay in expensive hotels?
- You can rent a private room in Airbnb .
- You can stay in Jersey City for cheaper hotel prices.
- You can couchsurf! much better isn’t it ?
How I travelled around in New York ?
I used subway and Big Bus tour (one day pass) in New York. The one day pass costed my 55$ in September 2016. It also included a ferry to Statue of Liberty and I did save a few $$ on the taxi.
If you planning to stay for more than 2 days, I would recommend you to take a subway pass. They are available for all requirements like a day pass, one week pass and so on. Ask for a New York City map with public transportation details at the subway station counter. It will help you in planning your activities with ease.
Instead of using those yellow taxi, I used Uber and Lyft . They have a ‘carpool option’ which will save you a few $$. But if you do not have time on your side, this would not be a wise option.
When you are in New York, don’t worry about the food, the complete world cuisine will at your disposal. From Egyptian to Greek to Indian to anything you want to eat, you will get it in New York. Even if you call it a Food Mecca, no one would deny! If you are a vegan or vegetarian , you can survive easily, no problems with that.
- If you are driving in New York, there is no free right turn unless there is a sign stating the same. The parking and traffic can get on your nerves most times here and since transportations facilities are amazing, you might want to consider using public transport more often.
- Few taxi drivers are known to take the longest route, so make sure you have a map unless you want to get ripped off.
- I went to the Empire state building exactly around ~1 to 1.5 hours before sunset time. This ensured me the view in daytime and also the night time view when the New York City lights up. Also I love to chase sunsets, so one more bonus. I just went only till the 86th floor here as the price is more for going on top to the 102nd floor. Obviously the view won’t change much or until and unless you are really crazy to go on the 102nd floor here.
- Because of the enormous crowd in New York at all times, you cannot always predict what would be a perfect time, hence I decided to give myself at least an hour before sunset.
- If you plan to travel solo, keep away from isolated places especially at night. No matter what city you are in, don’t forget your common sense. 🙂 Not worth it!
- If it’s possible, then it would be clever to avoid visiting during Christmas, no doubt the entire city is at its best but at the same time, it will be filled with too much tourists and things can get difficult like travelling and also it gets very cold.
- Top of the Rock, Empire State and One World Observatory all will provide a view of the New York City in different angles. Instead of visiting all, you can visit any one. The entrance fees to these observation decks and other museums are a sure rip off! You may want to consider that in case you are on a budget.
- As the roads are bustling with too many cars, many New Yorkers use the public transportation for everyday use, so don’t stand in middle of the sidewalk to take a look at your map. You would be easily causing trouble to so many people walking there.
- New Yorkers are polite and hence don’t hesitate to ask for help. I was never disappointed here.
Have a safe and happy stay in the Big Apple.!
Thank you for visiting! If you have any questions / suggestions / feedback you can comment below or send me an email. I would love to hear back from you.
Have a nice day!