Delicate Arch is one of the most photographed arches in the world. It is located in Arches National Park in Eastern Utah (Moab). You would probably recognise it from Utah license plate. It is heavily trafficked during sunset time. If you would like to check out my blog posts on other parks then click here for Capitol Reef , Canyonlands , Goblin Valley and Zion.
Arches National Park is the first national park we visited in Utah. Praveen was more excited to see the Delicate Arch than me. Delicate Arch is 64 feet high and 45 feet wide freestanding arch. It has become widely recognized symbol of the state of Utah and as well the American Southwest. Delicate Arch is the remains of the erosion of Entrada sandstone formations.
We hiked quite comfortably in jeans, but it really gets you tired very quickly as this is an uphill climb. Go slow and be well hydrated. We were not knowing much about hiking that time, though we have a hiked a few trails in India.
The trail will take you to the Wolfe Cabin, where Wolfe and his son settled on the banks of the Salt wash. The trails are marked for the first half mile and then steeply climbs up an slickrock slope. The trails are well marked with cairns for the direction. To hike back to parking lot, follow the same route back. Look out for birds and wild flowers. You might just get lucky!
Quick Notes –
- Hike type: Difficult hike (it is uphill)
- Total time required to hike comfortably: ~2 hour
- Total distance: 3 miles RT
- Pets: Not allowed
- Kid friendly: Yes.
- Best time: Spring and Fall season – Open year round (I have been in Spring) The temperatures get really high so spring or fall would be the best time to visit.
- Washrooms: Yes at the parking lot
- Parking: Available
- Permits required: None
- Wheelchair friendly: No
Hiking Tips for the Delicate Arch –
- Take sufficient drinking water.
- Be careful with the kids, as it’s an uphill climb, there are rocks everywhere. Some might even be loosely balanced.
- If you think you cannot do this hike, don’t be disappointed. You could hike the smaller trail called the Lower Delicate Arch Viewpoint (100 yards) and a little longer trail called the Upper Delicate Arch Viewpoint (0.5 miles)
- Best time to visit the Delicate Arch would be during sunset. It will reflect the colors beautifully.
- Dont expect to be alone during sunset, as it can get heavily crowded sometimes with 100 people at least .
- Climbing or swinging on the arch is strictly prohibited. But you are free to go near and explore it.
- If hiking during Spring or Fall, soon after sunset it can get chilly, so keep a light jacket handy.
- Go light on your baggage.
- Carry flashlight in case you are returning after sunset.
- Keep a sunscreen handy too.
Other Trails in Arches –
Arches is having the world’s largest number of natural sandstone arches. We hiked other trails in Arches too. Some are just a few yards walk away. They are not difficult and most had paved trail. we did this hikes in one day. You can also check out my blog posts on other parks like Capitol Reef , Canyonlands , Goblin Valley and Zion here.
Dont miss the Devil’s Garden, Double O Arch and LAndscape Arch. They are beautiful too.
Happy and safe hiking!
Thank you for visiting! If you have any questions / suggestions / feedback you can comment below or send me an email. I would love to hear back from you.
Have a nice day!